DivX started out as code stolen from Microsoft back in the day but is now a legitimate format and has grown quite a following for people doing DVD conversion. Many people will take their original DVD and make a smaller copy to take with them on the road, being a DivX conversion of a movie will usually fit on a standard CD. The DivX AVI format is also quite popular.
- Very good quality
- Compatibility on Mac and PCs
- In order to view DivX .AVI files (on any platform) you must have the appropriate codec loaded for either Mac or Windows
- The 2 pass encoding takes a bit longer than you would expect
- Download DivX for Mac
- Export/Share out of iMovie
- Select portable profile (medium quality) if going to the web